weddings and writings
Finally, the weddings are over.
DCF has just held its ACLE, "9 Weddings and a Bangquet," a while ago. And after that exhausting ordeal, I'm not sure I'll want to get married anytime soon. Haha! So, anyway, I was the maid of honor in the generic Filipino wedding and the narrator in the Muslim wedding. That was the first time I've had a costume change in about ten seconds. Hehe! What is fun for me is that two of my blockmates came over. Yey! And the funniest part for me was when Jaylord converted from a minister to an imam in a matter of seconds.
I had my quiet time after the ACLE using the devotional Kuya Dave gave me. The first lines of the meditation guide stated:
"I am alive! I had my first funeral when I was baptized in Christ, having invited Him into my life, my sins forgiven and given the assurance of eternal life."
In my life, I've met a lot of people who were afraid of death. And I never understood why. That's because I was on the other end of the spectrum. I was never afraid to die. I was always afraid to live. I've had my suicidal days: when I just wanted to slice my wrist with something as blunt as a pointed sign pen, jump off the fourth floor of AS, get run over by a rampaging taxi "accidentally," sleep and vanish from the earth. And I wouldn't deny that there were times when this tainted streak of my soul came back to haunt me.
What does it mean to live? The philosophers I've studied in my Literary Theory class have always tried to answer what is literature and what its purpose might be. Surprisingly, they have always tied up literature with life. The ancients have said that literature reflects life. The precursor of the Romanticists who happened to be Germans have contested this idea and asserted that literature is a product of knowledge, an epistemological exercise. But still, this doesn't disregard the fact that literature is still tied up with life since the mind is the faculty by which we gain knowledge.
I've been studying literature for almost 14 years. It's only now that I've come to truly realize that literature is a product of God's genius. It's one of the ways by which He reaches out to us so that we may be able to understand Him. Writing literature is man's futile attempt to understand himself, to search the depths of his being which is lost in the tangle of everyday existence. But God's Holy writing is different from any work man's hands can ever accomplish. Even an ancient philosopher by name of Longinus has said so: The Bible is sublime.
1 commentaire:
I wish I saw you guys!!!
oh, for you:
http://tabulas.com/~savvychic_02/1472842.html
Enregistrer un commentaire